Mission/Vision & Services
The Educational Design Institute, in collaboration with students, parents, educators, school administrators, school boards, and communities, will encourage the creation of safe, accessible, flexible, and developmentally-appropriate learning environments that will help students learn and teachers teach.
- Establish EDI as a source for school planning and design issues through regional workshops, conferences, and publications.
- Establish EDI as a collaborative partner with the Mississippi Department of Education Office of Safe and Orderly Schools and progressive Mississippi architecture and engineering design firms.
- Promote and update the Mississippi School Design Guidelines, which contain critical information concerning the design, construction, and maintenance of safe and effective school facilities.
- Workshops on Educational Design. EDI, in collaboration with participating school districts, will schedule workshops to inform school board members, staff, teachers, district personnel, and community members of the steps in the facility development process as well as the latest innovations in educational design.
- School/Community Focus Groups on Educational Design Issues. EDI, in collaboration with participating school districts, will schedule sessions to identify, clarify and prioritize specific educational design issues of concern within the school district and community. A final report will make specific recommendations.
- Educational Needs Assessment. EDI, in collaboration with participating school districts, will assess existing school facilities with respect to the school district's educational vision, mission, and curriculum. Information will be obtained through on-site inspections, interviews, and meetings with school officials and community members. The final report will include findings and recommendations.
- Facility Improvement Strategies. EDI will assist the school district in identifying and prioritizing potential facility improvements, while investigating the relative merits of new construction, renovation, adaptive reuse, and/or consolidation of existing facilities. The final report will include findings and recommendations.
- School Bond Referendum Strategies. EDI will assist the school district in the development and implementation of strategies for a successful school bond referendum.